We, the undersigned, believe that the world's scholarly literature is a public resource that only achieves its full value when it is freely available to all. For too long we have tolerated a pay-for-access business model for scholarly journals that is inequitable, impedes progress in our fields, and denies the public the full benefit of our work. We therefore welcome efforts on the part of public and private research funders to require that publications based on work they fund be made immediately freely and openly available without restrictions on access or use.
Funders are uniquely positioned to transform scholarly publishing by changing the explicit and implicit rules under which we all operate. We recognize that funder mandates may superficially limit our publishing options in the short term, but believe they will lead to a system that optimizes what we really care about: maximizing the reach of our scholarship and its value to the research community and public.
We understand that effective scholarly communication costs money, and support substantial investment in this endeavor, but only if it allows everyone to freely access and use the scholarly literature. We acknowledge that challenges remain, especially ensuring that all scholars everywhere have the unfettered ability to freely share their work and have their contributions recognized. And we therefore commit to continue working with funders, universities, research institutions and other stakeholders until we have created a stable, fair, effective and open system of scholarly communication.
- Stephen Devoto, Professor, Wesleyan University, United States
- Aaron M New , Postdoc, CRG Barcelona , Catalonia
- BethAnn McLaughlin, MIT Disobedience Award Winner 2018, Vanderbilt University, USA
- Leslie Oberholtzer, Staff Research Associate, Lab Manager and Department Safety Coordinator, University of California, Davis, United States
- Don A Moore, Professor, University of California at Berkeley, United States
- Karsten Hokamp, Researcher, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
- Miguel Rodríguez-Mondoñedo, Professor of Linguistics, Professor, Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, Peru
- Peter H. Proctor, PhD, MD, Therapeutic development, Drugscom, US
- Samuel Melchior, Scientific software engineer, EPFL, Switzerland
- José-Raúl Canay-Pazos, Assitant Professor, Univerdidade de Santiago de Compostela, Spain
- Oliver López-Corona, PhD , National Researcher, Cátedra CONACyT (CONABIO) and Centro de Ciencias de la Complejidad (C3-UNAM), México
- Bojan Popov, grad. student, University of Belgrade, Serbia
- Ghulam Subhan, Professor, Swat City School and College, PakistanG
- Dr. Marcela Pinillos, Scientist, Independent, Colombia
- Dr. Cindy Fuller, Scientist and Associate Professor, Henderson State University , USA
- Dr Amanda Haste, Adjunct professor, Aix-Marseille University, Independent Scholar, France
- Gary Herstein, Professor, Philosophy of Science, National Coalition of Independent Scholars, United States
- Musa Aku, Mathematician, Independent Scholar, BOG, Nigeria
- Oliver Abt, Librarian, University of Basel, Switzerland
- Chris Awre, Librarian, University of Hull, United Kingdom
And 1902 others - see complete list here.
Sign the Letter