We, the undersigned, believe that the world's scholarly literature is a public resource that only achieves its full value when it is freely available to all. For too long we have tolerated a pay-for-access business model for scholarly journals that is inequitable, impedes progress in our fields, and denies the public the full benefit of our work. We therefore welcome efforts on the part of public and private research funders to require that publications based on work they fund be made immediately freely and openly available without restrictions on access or use.
Funders are uniquely positioned to transform scholarly publishing by changing the explicit and implicit rules under which we all operate. We recognize that funder mandates may superficially limit our publishing options in the short term, but believe they will lead to a system that optimizes what we really care about: maximizing the reach of our scholarship and its value to the research community and public.
We understand that effective scholarly communication costs money, and support substantial investment in this endeavor, but only if it allows everyone to freely access and use the scholarly literature. We acknowledge that challenges remain, especially ensuring that all scholars everywhere have the unfettered ability to freely share their work and have their contributions recognized. And we therefore commit to continue working with funders, universities, research institutions and other stakeholders until we have created a stable, fair, effective and open system of scholarly communication.
- Catherine Tan, PhD Student, UCSF, United States
- David Gfeller, Professor, University of Lausanne, Switzerland
- Dr Daniel Schillereff, Scientist, King's College London, UK
- Cassandra Vinson Erenrich, MA, Therapist, Harmony Mental Health , U.S.
- Mattia Albergante, Product Manager, Former Nuclear Fusion Scientist, Frontiers, Switzerland
- Shannon Hateley, PhD, Senior Staff Scientist, AncestryDNA, formerly University of California Berkeley, United States
- Andrea Schreier, Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of California Davis, USA
- Ronak Borana, Student, Bhavan's College, India
- Gloria Selene Hinojosa, Librarian, Texas State University, United States
- Dr.Vishal Gupta, Industry, deScign, India
- Tolu Adebayo, POST-GRADUATE FELLOW, FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE, ABEOKUTA, NIGERIA, NIGERIA
- Hussein Hameed Hassan, Scientist, University of Kufa, Iraq
- Mahmoud Mabrouk, Research Assistant, Technische Universität Berlin, Germany
- Christopher Capobianco, Independent Researcher, SIAA Research, Canada
- Bruno J. Strasser, Professor, University of Geneva, Switzerland
- Michael Bode, Lecturer, Queensland University of Technology, Australia
- Kai Lewis Blumberg, PhD student, University of Arizona, US
- DR BIHARI LAL, Citizen, India
- Christian Lovis, Professor, University of Geneva, Switzerland
- Gustavo Garzon, Scientist, Colombian Geological Survey, Colombia
And 1931 others - see complete list here.
Sign the Letter