We, the undersigned, believe that the world's scholarly literature is a public resource that only achieves its full value when it is freely available to all. For too long we have tolerated a pay-for-access business model for scholarly journals that is inequitable, impedes progress in our fields, and denies the public the full benefit of our work. We therefore welcome efforts on the part of public and private research funders to require that publications based on work they fund be made immediately freely and openly available without restrictions on access or use.
Funders are uniquely positioned to transform scholarly publishing by changing the explicit and implicit rules under which we all operate. We recognize that funder mandates may superficially limit our publishing options in the short term, but believe they will lead to a system that optimizes what we really care about: maximizing the reach of our scholarship and its value to the research community and public.
We understand that effective scholarly communication costs money, and support substantial investment in this endeavor, but only if it allows everyone to freely access and use the scholarly literature. We acknowledge that challenges remain, especially ensuring that all scholars everywhere have the unfettered ability to freely share their work and have their contributions recognized. And we therefore commit to continue working with funders, universities, research institutions and other stakeholders until we have created a stable, fair, effective and open system of scholarly communication.
- Brian Beliveau, Assistant Professor, University of Washington, USA
- Ricardo Hartley, Professor, Universidad Central de Chile, Chile
- DeDe Dawson, Librarian, Researcher, University of Saskatchewan, Canada
- Daniel Jordan, Postdoctoral Fellow, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, United States
- Gianluca Della Vedova, Professor, University of Milano - Bicocca, Italy
- Marco Masia, Board member of MCAA, Citizen Scientist, Marie Curie Alumni Association, Germany
- Esther Juliana Vargas, Phd Student, Universidad de Antioquia, Colombia
- Almut Lütge, PhD candidate, University of Zürich, Germany
- Legendre, Librarian, Université Clermont Auvergne, France
- James Doss-Gollin, Ph.D. Student, Columbia University, USA
- Paola Masuzzo, Citizen Scientist, Independent Researcher, Belgium
- Jose Tapia, Professor, University of Extremadura, Spain
- Mandar Nigdikar, Dentist, NHS, United Kingdom
- Bojin Bojinov, PhD , Professor , Agricultural University of Plovdiv, Department of Genetics and Plant breeding , Bulgaria
- Cyril FRANCOIS, Postdoctoral Scholar, CNRS, France
- Dr Amanda Haste, Adjunct professor, Aix-Marseille University, Independent Scholar, France
- Gary Herstein, Professor, Philosophy of Science, National Coalition of Independent Scholars, United States
- Musa Aku, Mathematician, Independent Scholar, BOG, Nigeria
- Oliver Abt, Librarian, University of Basel, Switzerland
- Chris Awre, Librarian, University of Hull, United Kingdom
And 1902 others - see complete list here.
Sign the Letter